Friday 9 January 2015

Never again.....

There are lots of samples of the 'no-lines technique' around blogland.  Some of the most beautiful examples of this technique that I've seen painted in DI inks are on Barbara's blog.  If you've not seen her creations then you're most certainly missing out on some amazing work.

Having really loved painting with my DI reinkers quite a bit lately, I decided I would give it a try.

So I dug out my Dove Grey ink pad, a new image and a dash of optimism for trying something different.

2 hours later I was feeling less optimistic!

The card below is the result of my efforts.

It actually turned out far better than it I thought it was going to when I was half way through, but oh boy, it literally took hours to paint it to a stage where I was happy.  I think the grey ink pad will be going back to the bottom of my ink pad pile and I'll be back on the jet black again from now onwards.

The stamp was a Xmas pressie from a very dear blogpal who's been a real rock for me this year (thank you so much sweetie), and this card has been sent as a thank you to her.  Plus I think she might just be one of a very short list who might appreciate how much effort has gone into this, otherwise very simple-looking, creation!!!

I kept the design quite simple since I know the recipient prefers that style.

Plus I was creatively exhausted from the painting!


Card Recipe:
  • Image - CC Designs Tawny
  • Colouring - Watercoloured in Distress Ink Reinkers
  • Cardworks Card Elegant Square base
  • Lili of the Valley paper pad
  • The Langton watercolour paper
  • Dove Grey Stazon Ink Pad (about to be thrown out the window)
  • Lacey Ovals Spellbinder Nesties
  • Satin Fuchsia ribbon
  • Flat Backed Pearls
  • Wink of Stella
I've been inspired by:
Happy crafting
Annette
xx



17 comments:

pinky said...

Crikey Annette I think its amazing! I've never had a go, as I find it quite daunting lol. If I was you I would definitely be doing it again.

Helen in the UK said...

Beautifully done. Maybe a technique that gets saved for REALLY special people only as it takes so long, but I don't think you should bury that grey inkpad too deeply :)

Sarah said...

Wow, this is amazing Annette, that is "spot on" no lines painting...you are far too critical girl!! Love that stamp too!! xx

Carole Pollard said...

I love this the no lines technique looks brilliant you are so hard on yourself .Its a great stamp to get as a gift she's so sweet love and hugs Carole x

Christine L said...

Uh oh, I think my comment disappeared.... ah well! Don't say never again hon.... you really made a fabulous job of this little cutie.... your colouring is so perfect!!

Big hugs
Christine x

Mojca said...

Oh my this looks ever so sweet! Really gorgeous image and your colouring is so beautiful. Have a great weekend! Hugs! Mojca

Crafty Mamma Mia said...

Annette, this is totally stunning ... not sure why you think you'll never do this technique again!!!!!! I love the image and your colouring is amazing.
Helen x

Kat W said...

No, no, no, go and get that grey ink pad back right now! The finished result is absolutely gorgeous and something to be seriously proud of. I haven't even tried no-lines colouring yet as I am rather scared by it, so you're one step better than me!

Big hugs, Kat xx

Carol S. said...

This is the best yet! Gorgeous image and amazing colourng. I only use black ink if I am doing a black image. For all my other stamping I use Versafine Smokey Grey. The other thing I occasionly do, is inking up the stamp with Tombow Watercolour pens, putting each colour where I want it. So flesh on face outline and perhaps brown on hair line. When you have got all colours in place, 'huff' all over the ink to moisten it and then stamp image. For flowers you can do the same but spary a fine mist of water over inked image and then stamp. Gives a much softer image. Then just paint image with the
colours. Hugs, Carol S.xx

Meihsia Liu said...

Your card is so cute. The image is adorable. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

The Stamp Basket said...

Tenacity personified...and fab-u-lous colouring, too! A card to be framed and treasured...me thinks!

Marilyn said...

Really Netty? You've put away the grey ink pad? You shouldn't because this is lovely.. and I mean that. I don't always like the no-lines because they are too faint sometimes but I think this is really, really good. I have also never tried that technique because it scares me... I could never achieve a gorgeous piece like you have done.

Squirrel x said...

What can I say hunny, you put the time in and it paid off, such a tricky technique with the DIs but this is beautiful work, I love the amount of dimension you have created on her jacket. A work of art to be proud of sweetie. Huggles xxx

jenn shurkus said...

omgosh no!!! dig that gray inkpad back out!!!! You did an AMAZING job!! and I bet next time you will know what worked better then other things so it will get easier... seriously- this looks AWESOME! Thank you for playing along with us at Simon Says Stamp!

Debs said...

Adorable card Annette and I think your no lines colouring is awesome.
Thanks for playing along at Winter Wonderland this week.
Good luck.
Debs xx

Andrea said...

Well I can't wait to see a finished project when you think you've mastered it then, cos I think you already have..... Like many of your friends I haven't dared to try it yet, but I think whole card looks lovely

Andrea x

Seafield Jo said...

Your card is beautiful, I wish I could colour an image so beautifully, and you've chosen a gorgeous image. I love the shape of your card and the dp too.

Thanks for joining in with our latest challenge at Crafty Calendar Challenge.

Jo x