Wednesday 17 August 2016

Layered Lilies

I've been drooling over the Altenew layered stamps for months and so when the Layered Lilies landed on my doormat I was a teensy bit excited to ink them up.  However, I soon discovered that there was more to using these stamps than just the rubber!

I'd planned on using DI ink pads (and because I don't have any DI ink pads, I bought 2 pads especially for these stamps).  But when I inked up the clear stamps, the DI ink didn't give a good coverage and the images was horrendously spotty where the ink bubbled on the rubber. I tried sandpapering the stamp to give it some 'grip', washing it with a bit of soap, stamping with Stazon first, but nothing stopped the spotty inky image.

So I tried some of my Versacolour mini stamps (inks that I have only previously used to ink the edges of my image panels), and the result was perfect!!

Once I'd inked the main layers, I then used a pencil to darken the centres and add some streaks to the centres and edges of each petal.  Finally I used a tiny paintbrush to dot some DI reinker speckles into the centre and Stazon to stamp the stamens.

I was so pleased with how they turned out that I got a bit carried away and couldn't seem to stop using them, but instead of boring you with 4 separate posts, I've decided to bore you with all 4 cards in a single post, so brace yourself for a quartet of lilies!

Firstly I tried them in my favourite colour, pink .....



.... and I was really pleased with how they came out, but actually my next attempt, in blue, turned out to be my favourite .....


Thinking that I was on a roll, I tried them in purple next ......

... and finally in a pale golden brown colour:


Card Recipe:
I've been inspired by:
Happy crafting
Annette
xx




11 comments:

Wendy L said...

These are so gorgeous, lovely shades on each one, xxx

Aileen said...

Wow Annette these are stunning, I have this stamp and havent stamped yet. Now I need to go do some, this is just beautiful. Totaly in love with the brown one. You nailed it.

Crafty Mamma Mia said...

Wow Annette - what a stunning collection of cards! Too difficult to choose my favourite though! Hope all is well with you!
Hugs, Helen x

Christine L said...

Wow Annette.... these are such a change from your usual style - and they are all fabulous!! Of course, I'm loving the pink, but that purple comes a very close second in my eyes. I must admit to having been looking at the AlteNew images - but then ordered a Tim Holtz floral stamp set instead the other day... floral cards are always fabulous and even better if there's little colouring involved!

Btw... another trick for new stamps is to stamp with Versamark first, then rub it off with a finger before stamping into an inkpad - though I don't think that'd work with Distress Inks either - I've never been able to manage a clear stamped image with them.

Big hugs
Christine x

Carol S. said...

Wow!! They are all stunning but the last one is my fave. I have the rose set and die that was with a magazine. Still not tried but really must! Hugs, Carol S.xx

Lin said...

Beautiful work! I love Altenew multi-step stamps - they are wonderful for those of us who don't use copics to color. The results are always beautiful with inks. I'm glad you found some inks that worked for you. Thanks so much for sharing these with us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

Anne said...

Wow you got there in the end, what gorgeous results.
As Christine said it's Versamark you use to stop the ink pooling on clear stamps but I haven't tried it with distress inks.
I've watched the demos on these stamps but haven't tried them yet, may need to have a go after seeing these!
Anne xx

Kat W said...

I can see why there was no stopping you once you got started because these lilies are utterly gorgeous and you have given them amazing dimension with the inking and pencil details :-) I love all the colours you chose and yes, pink should be my fave but there is something about the blue that really catches my eye too!
Big hugs, Kat xx

brenda said...

A gorgeous creation Annette and beautiful stamping. I ponder about buying those Lilies the other day, not I know I need them. Many thanks for sharing your lovely card with us at Stamping Sensations.

B x

brenda said...

That was meant to say "now" I need them.

B x

Dora said...

What a good job have you done with the flowers. Beautiful!
Thank you for joining at Stamping Sensations this month.