Saturday 5 November 2022

A Christmas Carol

It's been a while since I've made a single layer Clean and Simple card, but while digging through my older stamps today I found this MFT Christmas Carol stamp set and I wanted to try a lightbeam effect using ink.  

There was a lot of masking involved for this card.  The lamp post was also shorter than I needed, so I masked off the bottom half and stamped the top, then did the reverse to stamp only the base.  I wanted the lantern to be quite high on the card so that the light it shone covered about a third of the card.  I then masked everything to stamp the stones and ink the lightmeam in tones of orange fading out to pale yellow. 

I've watercoloured the image using mostly neutral colours but added a pop of red on each element, including the candle in the lantern.  I tried to create some darker shadow in front of the carol singers to show that the light is coming from behind them.  I added a sprinkling of snow and a yellow glow on the goat's hat pompom.




Water-coloured on Ecoline Watercolour Card with Ranger Distress Ink Reinkers:
  • Cow/Robin: Antique Linen, Brushed Corduroy, Vintage Photo, Tattered Rose, Tea Dye
  • GoatAntique Linen, Frayed Burlap, Walnut Stain, Tattered Rose, Tea Dye, 
  • Light: Scattered Straw, Wild Honey
  • Reds: Candied Apple, Barn Door, Aged Mahogany
  • Greys: Hickory Smoke, Black Soot
Card Recipe:
Happy crafting
Annette
xx



5 comments:

Christine Harrop said...

I love this CAS card - sometimes a lot of work goes into a CAS card. lol. Christine x

dolcreations said...

Your card is fantastic! LOVE all the hard work you put into it!

MFT Kim said...

I'm not quite sure if you intend to give this card away, but it's a keeper to me! Your spotlight is perfect, the making the lamplight taller is genius and the images on the stone background is awesome!

donna mikasa said...

Wonderful card design! Congrats on your deserving Superstar win!

MFT Kim said...

Yahoo! Congrats! This card is a stunner and you should be so proud!!