Wednesday 25 June 2014

Mail Sizer

I've been doing some recycling and made something quite useful out of an old ring binder.  I wanted to make a mail sizer to help determine when packages will be classified as large letters when I get to the post office.

Unfortunately the post office don't sell the sizers that they use.  I have seen some on eBay, but I thought I'd have a go at making one myself.  I cut one side off an old ring binder, and then cut it to a rectangle shape, but only cut through the board, being careful not to cut through to the vinyl covering, so that I could then wrap the vinyl  around the raw edge to make it neat.

I then carefully measured and cut two slots, one for standard letters, and one for large letters.  If the package passes through the slot, then I know it will be sized accordingly.  Because the card is from a ring binder, the board is really thick, and so it doesn't bend when I am holding it in one hand to push parcels through it with the other!

I've also printed out some handy information, with an area for the last posting dates before Christmas, and also the current prices for UK mail.  I'm guessing that this will need to be updated frequently though, as our prices seem to change fairly often, but I can create a new panel and either cover up the old one, or replace the whole panel and use a new image each year for variety!  Unfortunately I can't yet find the 2014 last posting dates, so I've left these blank so that I can add the dates in pencil, and then change them each year if necessary.

This project is to support the M for Mail challenge at ABC Christmas Challenge.



Here's a sneaky peek at the reverse of the board, where you can see how I wrapped the vinyl around the back to hide the cut edge.  I was going to do the same for the slots, but it turned out to be too fiddly, so I didn't bother.



Card Recipe:
I've been inspired by:
  • Simon's Monday Challenge - Use this more (to stop me being shocked when I get to the post office and get told that it is gonna cost as much to post my creations as it did to make them!)
  • Fab 'n' Funky - Christmas, we're half way there
Happy crafting
Annette
xx



12 comments:

Christine L said...

It looks fab Annette.... and so useful too.. I have one of the wobbly ones which doesn't often give you the right info!

Hugs
Christine x

Squirrel x said...

Oh wow hun, this is so much nicer than my boring plastic one! What a super idea, so clever. And I adore that little Bailey - what an adorable chap he is! Hugs xx

Carole Pollard said...

What a brilliant idea you should patent this and sell them as I usually have to wait till I get to the post office.Never seen them to buy go for it a gap in the market !!

Sarah said...

Words fail me Annette!! This is such a fabulous project and so useful too. You are a clever sausage!! xx

Elaine Stark said...

Well done you, I only made one of thin card but it is too flexible. A brilliant idea and it looks great too. Elaine

Wishcraft said...

Pffff... you're just too clever, and so organised too! Fab idea and love this image :o) Hugs, Lisa x

Anonymous said...

I agree with Wishcraft you are far to clever and NOW you have to make me one too! hahhahha I LOVE it well done sweetie xx

Lorraine A said...

this is FABULOUS Annette ! I never saw anything like this ! clever girlie :-) Love the reindeer too ,, he is super cute and your colouring is perfect :-)

luv
Lols x x x
p.s, don't be put off by numbers ;-) everyone is in with a chance :-)

Kat W said...

This is brilliant! I have been thinking for a while that I needed to do something like this. I have a paper version that, as you say, is a bit tricky to hold straight with one hand while 'posting' your item with the other.
So, I am totally going to have to make one of these and I love the info you added with postage costs too :-)
AND that super cute reindeer image is going on my 'want it' list for Christmas cards this year!

So much inspiration for me with this post; thanks hun!

Big hugs, Kat xx

Bettina L. said...

This is so adorable Annette. Love the dets with that slot and that gorgeous christmas deer too. Hugs Bettina xx

Zw@@n said...

Great project, Annette. The image is super cute. Luv, Wilma

Anna-Karin said...

Lovely project! That image is so cute and your colouring is wonderful. Thank you for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!